Saturday, July 25, 2009

Sisterlocks

Day 1 of my Sisterlocks installation was quite enjoyable. I awoke at 4:30 a.m., before the sunrise and before the crow of roosters. I rushed to the tro tro station, arrived by 5:12 a.m. only to find one other passenger and the driver…the town doesn’t get going as early as I’d thought. It was dark. I was expecting everyone to be up and walking around but that didn’t happen until 6:00 a.m. I watched the sky change from midnight black through various shades of gray and finally to a dull tope. By 6:12 a.m. we were making our way down the mountain, the fog was clearing and I was extremely tired. We arrived in Madina and at 6:30 a.m., the traffic was already backed up. I arrived at Emelia-Jane’s house around 7:00 a.m. and we began the Sisterlock installation at around 8:00 a.m.!! The day was great, some of her friends came by and it was such a pleasure to be in the company of young Professional black women. Women, who have loved, lost, raised children, gone to college, worked in the corporate world, quite jobs, started businesses, traveled the world and who are still young, fabulous, vibrant and beautiful. I felt like I was sitting in the middle of an episode of Girlfriends. I had a wonderful lunch of jollof rice, broiled fish, salad and a green spicy sauce on the side and for dinner, I ate fufu with light soup and tuna…delicious. Just like banku, I had to get used to the texture of fufu and now I love banku and I’m working towards loving fufu. Maybe it will have to just stop at like…unlike my hair which I absolutely love!! The next day, we were back at it again at 9:00 a.m. and we finished off on the following Tuesday. I could not have asked for a better outcome. I’ve decided to get creative this time around, so I’ve been searching for cool hair clips and hair jewelry; I may even sew in a khari shell or two.



1 comment: