Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I just want to start off by saying everyday here is a great day, especially because they all start off with a beautiful drive down the mountain on the way to Mampong. Today, we had a lot of humorous conversations with our colleagues at the centre. Many members of my lab asked me what religion I followed and of course this is always sort of awkward to explain, especially to a stranger, so I tried to keep it as simple as possible. I didn’t feel as if I was being judged, they were very accepting but it was so funny because every young guy that came into the lab, they would introduce him as young and unmarried, lol. Sami, one of the two high priests in our lab, introduced me to (forgot his name) and said, “Blank is young and single but Jesus is between him and God but that’s ok, he can just convert you.” LMBO, I was cracking up. We also had this mango situation where there were like seven people crowded around trying to tell me and Alanna how to eat this mango I was trying to peel. Some were telling us to eat the peel others were saying not to, then they were arguing over the right way to peel it and whether or not we should share or just one of us eat it…lol, I love these people.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha, they just straight up asked you about ur religion? LOL- African people- in many ways they are all the same. African people are very spiritual. I'm sure you have realized in the time you were there that there is no line between secular culture and spiritual culture. It's all one culture. Gospel music and "secular" music are all in one music industry. You have "secular" artists randomly singing a Bible verse. Every other block there's a church. On the back of every other bus, it says "Jesus is Lord" or "To God be the Glory" or- if ur in Nigeria where we have muslims they'll have Muslim messages like "Allah is God" or something like that on the back of their bus. It's totally different there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and y'all ate Mango? yummmm! Well I don't think i've ever eaten a mango by myself. I always eat it after my dad peels it w/ a knife, and he slices pieces off for me to eat. I'm sure the mangos there are so much sweeter.

    And I'm confused... why are there priests in ur lab? Are they Catholic?

    ReplyDelete