Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Family Matters

Observing how family is valued so much in Ghanaian culture has made me really miss my family and want to do a better job of not just keeping in touch but strengthening my relationship with my extended family. I’m not even as close to some of my immediate family as I would like to...we need to do better. I think there is a general tendency for people to hold onto angry feelings and not talk about what bothers them. Instead, they just don’t talk to the person who bothers them. I find that I only do this when I don’t want to resolve an issue because if I truly wanted to have a close relationship with whoever the person is, then I would tell them about my issues and we can work through it together. I can’t speak for all families but it seems that people in my family have a lot of hidden feelings and built up resentment for one another. Even though it’s hard and sometimes people’s feelings get hurt including my own, I find that things always get better after I talk about the tough stuff. My Dad told me that many family members and friends are following my blog, so this message is sincerely meant for all of you to internalize because I want us to be closer! Shout out to my brother Brian, love you Dude, thanks for calling…but once every 4 months isn’t good enough…and I’ll take half the blame. :)

2 comments:

  1. Love you too lil sis - you should know how proud I am of you, how you've grown and all that you've accomplished and the potential you've yet to fully realize...Luv Ya. -b.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Bri Bri, you just made my day!!!

    ReplyDelete