Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Girl Power!

I think we have the best lab in the Centre, people are so funny, I’ve gotten in so many great belly laughs here, mostly at the stuff Sami does and says. Like secretly reading Alanna’s Cosmopolitan Magazine in the back of the lab and saying that they should bring back the military regime so that women can be arrested for wearing trousers (pants) and walking up to me every morning saying, “Let me greet my wife.”

I am proud to say that today I made Sami and Vincent take a second look at the theories they so strongly stood behind in yesterday’s heated debate about women’s role in society. It seems that some of the men in our lab think that women are inferior and weak and that men are “Champions!” Sami kept trying to use Biblical scriptures to back up his arguments about the inferiority of women but others who know Bible scriptures well claimed that he was making things up or misconstruing the meanings. I should make it clear that these conversations are very funny and for some reason I never feel insulted in any way by the chauvinistic commentary. So, I proved them wrong by removing this round bottom flask from the rotary evaporator when Sami and Vincent had tried and were convinced that it was stuck. Consequently, I showed that women are innately stronger and superior and wonderful!! They got a kick out of this and Vincent went on to tell a story about how he tells people he has two home towns because he wants to acknowledge both of his parents’ home towns because he has equal respect for both of them.

I’ve started making friends in town on my way home from the internet café. Mr. Boat, the owner of the art gallery outside of the Gardens invited Alanna and I for dinner today. Mrs. Boat made us boiled yam and stew with fish. It was one of the best meals we’ve had in Ghana thus far.

I found a sisterlock consultant in Ghana named Emelia-Jane and I’m going to meet with her on Friday. Hopefully hopefully hopefully, she won’t charge as much as they do in the States. If so, I’ll be coming home with a whole new look…even better than last time.

1 comment:

  1. LOL African men are all the same.

    Don't be eatin just anybody's food. LOL. But its true. I'm not even gonna lie though when I went to Nigeria, I can count at least like 3 times that people forced be to eat their food. Chisa tells me that she doesn't anybody's food, unless its her mom's food. Anyway, you just gotta pray. I'm praying for ya girl, everyday! Luv yas,

    Nnenna

    ReplyDelete